Self-Portrait:
I learned that since I last drew a self-portrait (8th grade, 2 years ago), I have a bigger eye for detail. Like I noticed how my eye brows are shaped differently, and the hazel around my eyes should be shaded differently, etc. I also learned that I draw myself the same as I draw everyone else. Sure, maybe I draw my eyes a little differently, but in general, they all look very similar, TOO similiar. I want to change that. I want to learn how to draw people the way that they look- not the way that I think I should draw them.
Person From Memory:
I drew my little brother, Stuart, from memory. I thought that might be a little easier because we look a lot alike. But I also realized that it was very difficult, sure we have some of the same qualities, but he is a totally different person and looks completely differently than I do! I also learned that I should pay more attention, and look more closely at the people in my life, such as, I couldn't even recall the shape of his head, or what his new haircut looks like! I need to pay more attention to my surroundings.
My Hand:
I drew my left hand because I am right handed. I don't really look at my hands all that much, maybe only when I paint my nails or something, (which is rarely) and I noticed interesting details that makes my hand look like a hand! Such as, when I first started drawing, I couldn't figure out how to make the creases from my knuckles look realistic- so I thought I could just leave it. But when I had finished the rest of my hand, it didn't look realistic, since I DIDN'T draw them! Even the tiniest of details can portray the most obvious thing in a piece of art.
The Upside Down Picture...
I had done this drawing once before, but I don't recall drawing it upside down. It was a whole new way of thinking of a piece of art. I started at the top, (technically the bottom) and it was just the lines and such of his pant-leg creases and the legs of the chair, which was easy enough. But once I started getting to things like the hands, or the face, it got more complicated. I realized it was definitely the case of what my teacher, Mr. Long, was saying- "Don't draw it like you think it SHOULD look like, just draw it like it is". So that's what I tried to do, and when I put myself in that mind-set, it looked much more like the picture itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment