Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Saving the earth"one lampshade at a time.

1. What did I make? ~I decorated an old lampshade that I no longer cared for the looks of.
2. & 3. The process...Materials used ~I took off the old fabric with plain 'ol scissors; the main base of design was paper bags from some of the favorite grocery stores such as New Seasons and Trader Joes, then I add some flairs such as pretty paper, newspaper, old sheet music, etc. I glued it all on with Mod Podge, great stuff.
4. What skill? ~I suppose there wasn't a certain skill I wanted to learn, except making something old, that I no longer cared for, something awesome and new. It was cool that I could use recyclable materials to do so.
5. Enjoy/Challenging. ~I enjoyed how it turned out, and I used cool materials that are random, and look awesome all together. It wasn't challenging at all because I had a lot of fun with it.I guess the most challenging thing was deciding what to put where, but I like how it ended up.
6. What did I do well? ~I liked how I made it look awesome an retro and totally different from anything else in my room. I think I made a good decision on what I should do my project on because I wanted a new lampshade, and I just saved a bunch of money on something that's way cooler than anything else I would have found. I like how I blended things together to make it look sweet.


Principles and Elements of Design
-Balance- definitely asymmetrical balance, since it's not the same on both sides at all.
-Contrast- there's a lot of contrast between materials and looks. Like I have a pretty bow on it, which it's contrasted with a rough brown paper bag.
-Pattern- There's no real pattern except there is a lot of paper used, especially paper bag.
-Proportion- the proportion of the materials used on the lampshade are not really balanced.I have some larger designs that cover part of the lampshade, then I have a very small piece of random paper just to cover a white spot.
-Rhythm & Movement- There really is no rhythm in my lampshade, it's unpredictable, random things appear. I suppose it has movement in the figurative sense, since nothing's the same, it's always changing.
-Emphasis- the emphasis I'm trying to display in my lampshade I suppose is recycling. It's obvious I used a lot of recyclable papers, like paper bags or old newspaper.

-Unity- What really brings this entire project together is, like I said before, recycling. It's all recycled materials used for the simple purpose of creating beautiful art.


~Here are some pictures I took of my project at home.





On the Friday before Christmas break started, on December 17, we used Mr. Joseph's (my teacher) amazing camera, and took many pictures of our projects.... and even more of just us ;)


My project!





Fun Stuff :)


Mindy & I



Hannah & I


This was definitely a fun project, I then also enjoyed taking pictures of them~ another aspect of 
ART




12 comments:

  1. I like how you are using your project every day. I like the "brown paper bag" feel it has. Very Green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good and very creative. the contrasting colors actually made it look like it had a rhythm and balance to it. It went together nicely good job.!! !! !! ! ! !! ! !! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking something old, turning it into something new that you LOVE. That's an idea that we should all try and incorporate into our daily lives.
    Your lampshade is very original, I really like how you decided to use the paper from some of your favorite "grocery" stores, :)
    Lovelovelove.
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. like how you took something plain and made it unique and your own. looks very nice. i only hope that your next one lets a little more light through. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. it seems like your project was a success i hope that lamp shade is fire martial approved

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sydney your project is sooo awesome! you turned a little girl pink lampshade into a earthy amazing "you" lampshade :) i really love it :))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. your lamp shade was super awesome! You made something as ordinary and boring as a paper bag and turned it into a cool design on you lampshade! the colors all look really good together and it was really nicely put together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the abstractness of ur lamp shade :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the use of old bags for you lamp!
    it looks for cool.
    "saving the earth" and stuff instead of going out and buying a new lampshade. very creative!
    I love it sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Loved your lamp shade i thought it was very creative and the colors and patterns looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the theme of your lampshade! It was smart to have one and then base your collage around it instead of having a random mishmash of elements. In some places, though, it almost looks like things are going to come up. I'd probably make sure that everything is smoothed down and in place to give it a more finished feel :) But his is something that represents a part of life that is important to you, and I think that's the best thing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful lampshade! It looks very you. The random design is very nice, i could probably never get tired of looking at this lampshade just because there are some many different designs and pictures on it.

    ReplyDelete